🍞 Rye and Spelt Bread Recipe
Rye and Spelt Bread
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups rye flour
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- First, combine the rye flour, spelt flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. This will be the base of your bread.
- Next, add the olive oil and warm water to the bowl. The warm water will activate the yeast, helping the bread to rise.
- Mix the ingredients together until a dough forms. The dough should be slightly sticky, but not too wet.
- Now, knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes. This will help to develop the gluten in the flour, giving the bread its structure.
- After kneading, place the dough back in the bowl, cover it with a clean cloth, and let it rise for 1 hour. This will allow the yeast to ferment, making the dough rise and giving the bread its fluffy texture.
- While the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). This will ensure that the oven is hot enough when you're ready to bake the bread.
- Once the dough has risen, shape it into a loaf and place it on a baking sheet. You can shape the loaf however you like, but a traditional oblong shape is common for rye and spelt bread.
- Finally, bake the bread in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when you tap it. Let it cool before slicing and enjoying!
This bread is perfect for sandwiches or toasting. Store it in a bread box or airtight container to keep it fresh.
Embrace the wholesome goodness of homemade bread with our Rye and Spelt Bread recipe. This hearty, flavorful loaf is a delightful addition to any meal and a perfect choice for those seeking a healthier bread alternative. Baking your own bread may seem daunting, but with our simple, step-by-step instructions, you'll be a bread-baking maestro in no time.
Our Rye and Spelt Bread recipe uses rye flour and spelt flour, both of which are packed with nutrients and have a richer flavor compared to common wheat flour. Rye, in particular, is a key ingredient in traditional sourdough rye bread. It's known for its distinctive taste and its ability to create a dense, satisfying loaf.
Spelt flour, on the other hand, is an ancient grain with a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. It's a great source of protein and fiber, making it an excellent choice for health-conscious bakers. If you're new to baking with these flours, our Rye and Spelt Bread is a great starter recipe.
Whether you're a seasoned baker or a beginner, there's something incredibly satisfying about making your own bread. The process of kneading the dough, the smell of bread baking in the oven, and the first bite of a warm, freshly baked loaf - it's a sensory experience like no other. Plus, this Rye and Spelt Bread is perfect for sandwiches, toasts, or simply slathered with your favorite vegan spread.
So why not give it a try? With our easy-to-follow recipe, you can bring the bakery into your own kitchen. And if you're interested in exploring more sourdough recipes, check out our collection of easy and delicious sourdough bread recipes.